It’s a poisonous gas that you can’t see, smell or taste – you might not know it’s there
Carbon monoxide is released when faulty appliances start leaking. Low exposure to the gas can cause long-term damage, and high levels of exposure can be fatal. Every year, around 30 people die from carbon monoxide poisoning – and many more fall sick.
To find out more about carbon monoxide, visit Be Alarmed.
Source: Gas Safe and COCAA
To keep your home safe, you need to get your gas appliances checked once a year and install a carbon monoxide alarm.
What are the symptoms?
They’re similar to the flu: headaches, nausea, dizziness and feeling generally lethargic
So look out for cold-like symptoms that seem to get better when you leave the area.
If you’re worried about carbon monoxide poisoning, think about these things:
Is more than one person in the house affected?
Do the symptoms stop when you leave the house (like when you’re on holiday), but start again when you come back?
Do you notice the symptoms when you use a fuel-burning appliance?
Do they get worse in winter, when you’ve got the heating on?
If you think you or someone in your family might have carbon monoxide poisoning, get in touch with your doctor immediately.
Look for stains, soot or discolouration on (or around) your boiler, fire or water heater.
Make sure there are no blockages in your chimney or flue.
Keep the air vents in your doors, walls and windows clear.
Check the pilot light on your boiler (and any other gas flames that normally burn blue). If the flame is yellow or orange, you might have a carbon monoxide leak.